Choosing Bridesmaids...

For months after the engagement, my thoughts were on who would I have as my bridesmaids?? My maid of honor was pretty obvious even if I did joke around with her being my parking attendant on the day! I found it quite tough choosing my bridesmaids as I found it difficult to narrow it down, if I had it my way I would have probably had around 15 bridesmaids!! I found myself snowballing at times and it just building up again. I think it is a really tough choice but also very important! Nobody wants to look back at their wedding day pictures with bridesmaids you have never seen again or even worse...don't get on with anymore!
I based my choices in the end on long term! My friends I have known the longest and mean the most, not that any of my friends mean less to me but I had to narrow it down and if I could I would have had everyone!

So my maid of honor, I asked my best friend, Emma! She's been part of mine and my fiance's relationship right from the word go and although we like to wind her up sometimes, she means a lot to us both. She's been my best friend now for around 7 years now and I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of the job. I make it sound like a chore, it probably is with the way I'm going with planning at the moment but I have promised that I will not be a bridezilla! :\ nahhhh joking I won't! I'm hoping that she will enjoy it though and I won't put her off any future maid of honor jobs :p We have been through so much together though sometimes I feel like she will be giving me away on my wedding day when she finally has to let me go :p


Soooooo on my birthday I decided to ask my next bridesmaid. Which is my fiance's sister, Georgina! From the age of 8 when I first met her to now the age of 18!!! Time has flown by so quickly and i still find it so amazing how quickly she has grown up and also weird to see her as an adult (makes me feel so old!!). I love the idea of all the family members having a part in our big day and I cannot wait for her to be my bridesmaid! I loved seeing the excitement when we asked Georgina and the joy of being a bridesmaid. I think it's so important to have the nearest and dearest because it's such a personal day based around family! I just hope that she's prepared for the weirdness of the rest of the bridal party :p


It was then my last two bridesmaids to ask which proved to be more difficult than I thought. The reason for this being that they are twins and I wanted to ask them together, You think that would be easy right but it definitely was not and the plan me and my best friend had conjured up went down like a lead balloon. So in the end I decided to ask them separately, going round to their houses individually to ask them. I loved asking them both because they both weren't expecting it which is nice to know it was a complete surprise. I chose Katie because at school she was the closest girl friend to Kelvin and when I started seeing him, we quickly became really close friends too. Going through college together and spending a lot of time together doing weird stuff :p I always said I would have her as a bridesmaid and she was close to both me and Kelvin. I chose Katie not just because she's mine and Kelvins friend but also because of the friend she is. She is the funniest person I know and also so caring, I know that I can go for so long without seeing her and nothing will ever change.


Lydia is again one of the most caring people I have met and also so selfless. Me and Lydia also went to school, college and work together. So have known each other for a long time! I chose Lydia because I really value her friendship and know again that she will always be there! I also love that I am having them both as I have never met better twins!! When we all meet up, I can literally just watch them together for hours, they are the funniest duo going!!


Like I said I found it really tough to choose just four bridesmaids and if I could I would have all my friends, but I value all my friends and they all mean so much to me. I think it is really tough to make such an important decision but I think you just have to think carefully. I think the most important things to consider is...
  • Who means the most? 
  • History? How long have you known them, are they a new close friend?
  • Don't act on the moment 
  • Don't rush your decision
  • Don't feel you have to ask people - It's your day! It's your decision!
If there are people who are really close to you, try and involve them in other ways! There is so many ways to involve your friends...helping with planning? the hen do shenanigans? a reading at the wedding? inviting them to get ready with you all for the wedding? maybe even some sort of dance/music act!

There are so many ways to ask your bridesmaids too! Some ideas I have seen are so creative but I think the main thing when I was deciding how to do it was to make it not so obvious, so my bridesmaids weren't expecting it. When I look back, I guess when they saw the box it probably was a pretty big giveaway but luckily they didn't see it coming and it wasn't an obvious set up. I cannot wait for my perfect bridal party to come together and support me on such an important day!

 Que the embarrassing photos......





Comments

Popular Posts